I am obsessed with all things DIY.

I see it,

I love it,

I make it.




Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Koolaide Tie Dye T-Shirt Bracelets

Found a great tutorial on making T-Shirt Bracelets found here at Lana Red blog. 

I went straight into my boyfriends closet and got the first stained white tee I could find.  I cut my 1 inch strips then proceeded to dye them with Koolaide.  Strange?  Yes?  Does it work?  For the most part.  I saw someone dying yarn with Koolaide on Royal Pains so I figured it was worth a try.  I followed the instructions that you would use with Rit Brand Dye and added 1 package of Red Koolaide and 1 Tablespoon of Salt to a bowl.  I boiled 2 cups of water and mixed everything up with a chopstick.   

I dipped the strips half way down for 2 hours then for the last 1 hour put everything in the bowl. 

I rinsed them thouroughly and they faded quite a bit more than I thought they would but they are a light shade of pink. Then I threw them into the drier with a towel for 5 minutes. 

During the drying process, I tried to figure out how the hell Lana Red got the braid going in her instructions but sometimes I'm not that bright and over the weekend I had one of those days.  So I braided two bracelets separately and then used a spare piece to intertwine the 2 pieces together.  The finished product is pictured left. 




I purchased some Gummy Bracelets from Asos ON SALE for $4.97 with free shipping and handling.  They come in a pack of 50 so we are talking 9 cents a piece! I used one of the spare pieces left over from my first braided bracelet and weaved it in and out of 3 of the gummies.  I wrapped each end 3 times then glued it down . 

Not bad for 27 cents!

No comments:

Post a Comment